Monday, September 18, 2006

September 18th - Rome Day Two


DSC05736.JPG
Originally uploaded by cherubichomer.
I planned to get up early so I could beat the lines for the colosseum but I ate this dodgy pizza last night and it didn't sit well with me during the night. I got up pretty late and by the time that I got to the gates of the Colosseum there were millions if not hundreds of people lined up and waiting to get in. (Most of them were obnoxious British high schoolers on a school trip slapping and throwing things at each other.) So, to beat the line-up (and to get away from those kids) I joined a tour. The tour, which wasn't really worth it, allowed you to jump the queue and enter the coloseeum right away. Because the guide's english was really pretty bad, the extra money was just for this benefit alone; Actually,I think she made me a little dumber'er. However, we got to wear these cool earpieces that made me feel like CIA.
The Colosseum is truely amazing. Lots of things to see and do. They had exhibits open with statues, sculptures, and pieces that had fallen off the Colosseum and tons of nooks to look through. The maze that you see when you enter the colosseum is the maze of rooms that were present underneath the floor of the colosseum. The floor of the colosseum is - well, obviously - no longer there but they did rebuild part of it on the other end so tourist could get a feel for what it would have looked like in gladiating times. I was kinda disappointed to hear (from another tour guide, of course) that unlike in the movie by Mr. Crowe, gladiators never fought animals. If there were animals fighting, they only fought other animals. Another example of Hollywood lying to us stupid humans. This is definitely a highlight of Italy so far.

No comments: