Sunday, September 17, 2006

September 17th - Rome


DSC05589.JPG
Originally uploaded by cherubichomer.
It's been raining off and on all day. When it rains, it only rains for about 5 minutes but it's super heavy and cold. There is a ton of things to see in Rome. It has a great feel to it and it seems that you can get everywhere by foot. There is a great information office at the main train station where they'll give you a free map and passively try to talk you into signing up for a bus tour. Everyone working there spoke great english. One guy that I spoke to - as he tried to get me to sign up for his company's bus tour - said that many of the english tourism companies hire ex-American army. I guess they sign them up after they get out of the American Army bases found within Berlin. I don't really like tours. They usually just do the mainstream, touristy things and I wanna see some odd things. Really, all you need is a good travel guide and an even better map.
I really wanted to get to see some of the biggies right away. So, I headed out to Piazza Venezia which has a ton of things to see but is also the best entrance towards the Colosseum. Line up was too big so I skirted around it today, checking out the Arco di Constantino. This led down towards the Circo Massimo where chariot races were held in the 5th century. Then it started to rain and I hung out under a tree for about an hour.

DSC05671.JPG
Originally uploaded by cherubichomer.
As the rain subsided, I made my way up Via Arenula to the Pantheon. Here's a picture of the Gnome inside the Pantheon. It was pretty busy here, too, as they closed half of the inside for maintenance. It's an amazing building, though I don't know how they get the turf in for football games.
Tomorrow morning, I'm going to the Colosseum early to beat the line-ups.

No comments: