Tuesday, May 01, 2007

May 1st - Book Twenty-Three: The Diary Of Anne Frank


DSC09990
Originally uploaded by cherubichomer.
When I went to visit the office building last fall that the Franks family hid out in in Amsterdam, I was embarrased to find that I was the only one there that hadn't read her diary beforehand. When walking around the museum the importance of the some stuff eluded me. Well, because of this, I promised that I would read the diary sooner or later.
The book is very much a diary of a teener with more than half the book written about her infatuations with boys. Obviously, at her age that was what was important to her even in the difficult situation she found herself in. There isn't as much material about the hiding place and the experience of living in seclusion as I imagined there would be but she does give sufficient insight into how hard it must have been to have done what she and her family had to do for the two years spent hiding. The hardest part of this book to read was the end chapter that explains the ultimate end of the apartment's residents. Very sad indeed, especially considering they were caught so close to VE Day. A very good and sombering book. 5/5. (283 pages. Total for the year: 5979 pages).

No comments: