Thursday, January 04, 2007

January 4th - The 50 Book Challenge


I'm taking the 50 books in 52 weeks challenge as my New Year resolution. I don't really think I've ever read 50 weeks in one year before - even when taking education and having to read all of the stuff they make us read - and I don't know how much time I'll have to spend reading during the year, especially when, or if, I get my next job but whatever. I'll just have to exclude 9 billion page tombs and stick with Archie Comicbook-like easy reads. So, no "Infinte Jest" by David Foster Wallace or Tom Wolfe's "I am Charlotte Simmons" and more books like Billy Corgan's "Blinking with fists". Actually, I'm off to a good start. I've already read one book and I've started my second and I still have three days left in the first week of the year! Yippee for me. I read "Praise" by Australian author Andrew McGahan in only three days. I bought it at a $2 table at Black Bond Books at Lansdowne Mall in Richmond. Really, the only reason I purchased it was because Mr. McGahan is a past winner of the Australian/Vogel Award. I don't exactly know what the award is for - it could be for the best book about albino cats set in the jungles of Africa or best first biographical book on one of the three stooges - but having that line on the cover sold me. It's an okay book...not exactly the best writing I've read but it has its moments. A moderate story about a 8 month period for twenty-something while he's on the dole. A lot of drug and sex references. I'd recommend it if you see it for $2. (279 pages)

No comments: