Sunday, January 07, 2007

January 7th - Book Two: Shanghai Baby


DSC09832.JPG
Originally uploaded by cherubichomer.
It's amazing what a person can do when they don't have anything else to do, I've finished another book. Book 2 is Shanghai Baby by Wei Hui. I bought it some time ago from Powell's Books in Portland for $5.95. It's a book that I read a review about and the fact that it was banned in China left me wanting to read it and I remember feeling pretty lucky finding it at Powell's. Obviously, it's been translated (which explains the many grammatical errors) and I think that the book probably would have read much better in its original form but I'm sad to say that this copy of the book is very disappointing. Actually, I think, based on the copy that I read, it's a poorly written and poorly told story. I'd give the book a 1.5/5. (258 pages. Total for the year: 537 pages)

No comments: