Monday, April 09, 2007

April 9th - Book Twenty: Not Wanted On The Voyage.


DSC09973-voy
Originally uploaded by cherubichomer.
Everyone in Canada knows Timothy Findley. If you don’t – and he’s not that guy that sits next to Don Cherry during Coaches Corner – then you’re not truly Canadian. Mr. Findlay is probably one of the five big Canadian writers and of those five, which includes Margaret Atwood, Robertson Davies, W.P. Kinsella, Alice Monroe, and Mordecai Richler, he is definitely my favorite. I’ve read many of his books and this one is without any doubt my favorite. And to re-read it during Easter long weekend, well it’s just an indication of what I really think about organized religion. I think I’ll make it an annual tradition from now on. The premise is pretty ingenious: It’s an imaginative retelling of what might have happened on Noah’s Ark. I know there are other books out there that ‘fictionalize’ stories from the Bible, such as A History of the World in 10 ½ Chapters by Julian Barnes, but this is the best example, in my mind. It’s a funny, thoughtful and surprising story that provides an amazing view into the wonderful writing abilities of Mr. Findley. There are numerous turns and twists in his story as he makes fun of both religion and science within the 350-odd pages of this book. If you ever wanted to know what happened to the mythical Unicorn or why demons are evil, then this is the book that gives you as good an answer as any. Go read this book. Rating: 5/5. (352 pages. Total for the year: 5139 pages)

No comments: