Friday, April 06, 2007

April 6th - Book Nineteen: The Tetherballs of Bougainville.


DSC09970-tb
Originally uploaded by cherubichomer.
I purchased this book from Book Warehouse a couple of years ago but couldn’t find the time to give it a go until now. It’s an amazing satiric story written in a way that would make Jonathan Ames blush. Written by the funny Mark Leyner there were numerous amazing passages that made me laugh out loud and even more passages that almost made me pee myself as I giggled like a 6 year-old watching some ‘evil’ character get nutted (once again) in a slanderous cartoon rendition of a classical favorite by the Walt Disney Corporation. (Mind you, I use this analogy as high praise for Mr. Leyner’s book because I (a) consider voided urinal volume during fits of laughter as an honest measure of how funny a book is and (b) I actually think it’s funny when someone gets roasted in the nuts.) The book’s plot is actually very thin but really, if you’re reading this book for content then you’re also probably watching “Coronation Street” for its sociological study on Northern English life. The book is broken into two parts. The first part describes how a thirteen year old deals with the lethal injection execution of his father for shoplifting a hand-blender. The second part is written as a screenplay by the same thirteen-year-old as he describes how the story of the execution of his father would play out on the silver screen. Lock yourself in a room with this book, a bar of butter (unsalted), and a wooden spatula and don’t come out until you finish reading. Believe me, the time will pass so quickly, when you finish only 2/3 of the butter will have been used and you’ll only have a handful of splinters from the spatula. (Don’t worry, Narv. I’ll lend you the book. You’ll have to get your own butter and spatula, though.) Rating: 5/5. (240 pages. Total for the year: 4787 pages)

No comments: