Saturday, July 29, 2006

July 29th - Cambridge


DSC03057 copy.JPG
Originally uploaded by cherubichomer.
Norman and I went to Cambridge today. I've been to Cambridge dozens of times now and I still find it one of the best places I've visitied in England. It's got so much stuff in such a small area. I thought Norm would appreciate the Cambridge Tourism Walking Tour. It's concise but very informative. We went to all of the requisite tourist sites that I've already been to previsously. However, I got to go to Trinity College for the first time. Trinity is a very small college at Cambridge. It's the college of Sir Isaac newton and his office is still visible from the front of the building. The college was opened by Henry VIII and there is a statue of his likeness over the gates leading into the college courtyard. The neat thing about this statue is that it is holding an orb in one hand and a wooden table leg in the other. It used to have a sceptre but some students stole the original sceptre and replaced it with a wooden table leg. It's been replaced a couple of times but the students kept stealing it and replacing the sceptre with another wooden table leg. So, to stop the insanity, Trinity College has left the wooden table leg in the King's hand. This is a picture of the statue of Henry VIII holding an orb in his left hand an a wooden table leg in his right hand.

No comments: