Saturday, July 01, 2006

Wasting time.

Only 11 more teaching days until the end of the school year!!! Is it wrong to count down the days? It's not that I don't like it here. It's just that I've run out of things to tell these people. There are only so many circus tricks you can do before it starts to hurt. I've been wasting my time making up hockey pucks and t-shirts. The pucks are kinda thank you pucks for the members of staff that have helped me out during the year. I know. It plays on the sterotypic one-track-mindedness of Canadian towards ice hockey but it's true so why not play along with it. Anyway, most of them won't even know what they are when they get it. I'll tell them it's a paperweight or something. Whatever.

It doesn't look like I'll be able to get to world cup this time around. I'm still pissed off about the ticket transfer thingy. Bastard fifa. I don't think I'll be able to get to Wimbledon either. The tourney ends next Sunday and I can't find time to get there; I'm teaching until a week after that. Plus tickets are more than a sane person would pay to watch the rich wack a ball around. But those strawberries and cream may intice me to show up and drop huge coin on scalper tix anyways.

I haven't been able to get out much during the year to do anything amazingly athletic but I did get to play tennis on Thursday. The head of physics, Dave Hodges, thoroughly kicked me and handed me my proverbial ass in less time it takes to shake out the three tennis balls from its plastic cylinder. However, I have an excuse. I had to use a PE tennis racket which neither had a true oval form - more squarish than anything - nor the correct size grip. I guess the students do have much smaller hands than me. However, I did get to play tennis on grass for the first time ever. Everything is so much better on grass. It's supple and you slide. But there are down sides as well. Like Dave's pee-inducing, high velocity serves which seemed to pick up speed as they skipped off the grass and past my flayling stabs of cheap £5 racket and poly-cotton blend strings. And grass dents, too. So unpredictable bounces seem the norm. There'll be a rematch as soon as I can find another racket and some skill.

No comments: