Friday, October 28, 2005

My weekend.


glan41
Originally uploaded by cherubichomer.
So, this was me Friday before I was suppose to head out to the wonderous Scandanavian country of Sweden on Sunday. However, I wasn't feeling well on Saturday morning so I went to the hospital in Huntingdon and they kept me for a few hours and I came home. I still didn't feel much better after a few hours at home so I went back to the hospital. They admitted me until Tuesday. Unfortunately, this means I didn't make my flight to Sweden. So, the closest I came to getting to Scandanavia this week was a small danish pastry I had yesterday in St.Ives. The hospital was very different from a North American one. They didn't really seem that concerned about having my spelled my name incorrectly. Nor were they really strict on the NPO stuff or the payment stuff. They didn't ask for identification nor did they ask for proof of residency. I was in a ward that had six beds and there wasn't really a door leading in or out of it. It had three walls. The fourth side was open to the nursing station. Weird. The nurses were very kind and there seemed to be a lot of them around. There were at least 2 porters, 3 nurses aids, 4 nurses, and 2 student nurses during my time there. The ward only had about 20 patients so this was a lot of people. The oddest thing that they did was every 2 hours they had tea. Everyone dropped everything and the nurses would make tea. You could have tea, coffee, or Ovaltine and it seemed even the patients that weren't suppose to eat or drink were allowed to as long as it was tea during tea time. Almost went crazy while there. The doctors push this metal cart around with them full of charts, drugs, notes, water, etc. as they went patient to patient during their rounds. I don't remember them on the Saturday. They missed me on the Sunday but the on-call doctor saw me in the evening and said I could eat so they gave me plain bread and butter. The attending physician(which was a surgeon so they didn't call him doctor but Mister) said that I wasn't allowed to eat for 48 to 72 hours so they took me off of food and put the intravenous back in (the resident put it into me and it took him three tries . . . the little bastard kept poking me . . . I thought I was going to pass out). Monday passed with the doctor saying I needed another day on the iv. Tuesday, they discharged me. So, I was discharged without getting to eat anything over four days except bread. Odd hospital, really.

Because I wasn't able to get to Sweden, I spent th elast few days in Cambridge to pass the time. Nothing else to say. School begins on Monday.
ed

No comments: