Tuesday, September 06, 2005

My work schedule


Here's my teaching schedule for the Abbey. They do it weird here where the teaching blocks go for a fortnight. Another oddity is that because of workload issues I have to share the 11SL class with another teacher. So, my schedule has me teaching them 3 days straight Tuesday to Thursday in Week A and then I don't see them in Week B. David gets them for two days in Week B. This messes up things since we have to teach off where each other has ended at and try to teach in a similar way. The red blocks are my preperation blocks. I can't teach in these blocks at all. The orange blocks are spares and I may be called on to teach as a TOC for teachers that may be away that day but they promised it wouldn't happen often. So, I teach only 32 out of 50 blocks every two weeks. The biggest problem is that I have so many lesson preps. Some of the year 10s and 11s don't start the same units and if they do they have different curriculum. For example, the 10SA and 10SE are both doing Humans as Organisms but they are of different ability. Triples are the A students, C and below . . . well let's just say they aren't A students. Because of this, the triples get a different, more involved curriculum and the 10SE get something less involving. A big positive is we don't have to do lunchtime monitoring but if we want to do it we get paid about $20 and hour. I'm gonna look into that one since that'll buy that many more smarties. The year 10s have module tests in early November meaning I have to get done the unit before this. There is no exceptions to writing the modules and they count for their GCSEs, which is the equivalence to Provincials in BC except they count for 70% of their overall mark. So, really I'm here not to grade their ability but to make sure they have the ability to write the modules. My kids have been okay so far. They gave me top flight students, which means they have better attitudes but this also means I have to teach more of the complex and involved curriculums. Boohoo for me. Plus, it's the kids are expected to do well so when, not if, their marks come back less than satisfactory I'll be called out to explain myself at which point I'll begin crying and then balling up in the foetal position as they kick me to the curb. Unfortunately, they want me to teach to them directly instead of using my new found teaching strategies bestowed upon me by UBC education. The upside to this is they have a million very good textbooks. I love the large pot-of-gold bundle of resources they have for me. They've even produced Unit Plans (which they call Sheets of Work) for entire units that we are requested to follow as it ensures we finish in time. They're great! If I have time, I'll post a sample for you all to see. Gotta teach in 20 minutes. I'll finish this up at the end of the day.

1 comment:

specialedintheuk said...

Well, the only color I'm really interested in is the red. Those are my prep blocks. I don't work during those times. Now, the plan is how do I make the entire schedule red?