Sunday, January 08, 2006

Tuomiokirkko Cathedral


Famous Church in Helsinki
Originally uploaded by cherubichomer.
This is a huge cathedral in Helsinki. It sits on a hill and can be seen from everywhere. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go in. Actually, I didn't get to see anything in Helsinki except the outsides of famous and interesting things because everything was closed for Christmas. I looked through a lot of windows - double glazed...only makes sense in a Northern city like Helsinki - but that didn't give me a true effect of the city. Helsinki is the largest city in Finland with a population of about 1 million. Really, it was like being in a really isolated, really small town because everything was so quiet. However, even if it wasn't Christmas and everything was open and everyone was out and about I don't think that this city would have been much more interesting. Very small, very expensive and the people weren't as friendly as in Sweden.

No comments: